cutting corners. adding some lazy to life.


DSC_0459

When I was in college, I loved shopping. LOVED. Didn't matter what store - grocery, gas station, pharmacy, mall - it was an opportunity for fun. The prospect of finding something new to eat or wear was exciting; I could walk around for hours pondering the ways each retail item could change my life. My feet and legs were killing me, but the thrill it gave my spirit drove me on.

Now, I hate going to the store. Hate's a strong word, but I'll repeat it anyway. hate. Shopping for food with a baby requires stamina, concentration, speed and ... a list. It requires snacks, backup snacks for snacks, toys, a few awesome songs stowed in your head for meltdowns and leaving your ego in the car.

After a while, you'll reach one of three points
1. You're exhausted from all the juggling and would rather eat stale Cheerios than attempt the store.
2. You hit the cart/stroller pushing stage. The cart, followed by an invisible little shopper, crookedly travels across the floors, just missing rows of condiments and beelining its way into some scowling woman's knees.
3. The snacks, toys and organization lose their magic and your kid throws himself on the pavement of the parking lot in rage and won't listen to your explanation that you bought him the friggin' toy car, but now it's time to put it in our car so we can bring it to our house.

Yeah. Keep an eye out for us on YouTube in a parking lot horror scene via someone's smartphone. Probably dated this past Monday.

I don't grocery shop anymore. I can't. I was never organized enough in the first place, and now Carter and I just can't get through it together. My full time priorities are cleaning, folding, playing and throwing together some kind of noodle concoction and bribing Carter to taste it.

I feel like I've complained about some kind of similar chaos on this blog before. Oh well, babies can be chaotic, and I'm digressing.

I finally figured out how to save time, aggravation and get us all fed! Today I picked out our groceries via some laptop clicks, waited two hours, then drove around the corner and had the food ushered straight into the back of my car. It's free the first time and $4.95 each time after that, no tips are accepted. I love my grocery store! It was such a freeing feeling to not have to unstrap Carter from his seat & bark persuasive commands at him nonstop to keep him safe, happy and out of trouble. You can do it, too, if you have a Harris Teeter nearby.

Life.
Changing.

We also signed up for a program called The Produce Box. They drop a box of local produce right on our doorstep every week for $22. You can skip as many weeks as you want if it gets too expensive. It kinda forces us (the biggest fast fooders, ever) to cook and try tons of different fruits & vegetables; they're ripe, not covered in pesticides, and it gives us that warm, fuzzy supportinglocalfarmers feeling.

The box includes a paper with recipe ideas for a few of the funnier looking vegetables, too. Carter's loving it. He's devoured an entire half of a watermelon, a sweet potato and two apples so far. Tonight he decided he likes spaghetti squash.

DSC_0060
DSC_0068
DSC_0015
DSC_0038
DSC_0006


I guess I'm encouraging you to look into these types of delivery services because I really appreciate stores that do these things, and I don't want it to ever be discontinued due to lack of participants. As a mommy, I'll take any help I can get if it means I'll have more time and energy to animate myself for my attention-hungry toddler.

I have a dream for the mommy world. Some day, there will be drive thru restaurants created just for babies where you can pick up quick, healthy, premade baby meals and a few spare pacifiers to boot. Starbucks will deliver their decadent pumpkin lattes to our doorsteps. Stores will have exclusive, express cash register lines for mothers toting short fused, in need of nap, shopping children.

At the very least, somebody, please, invent a kitchen sink faucet that dispenses nothing but milk.

Top Baby, Daddy & Mommy Blogs on TopBabyBlogs.Com


8 comments:

  1. We used to do this with Grocery Gateway! They deliver it right to your door, and the delivery charge is about the same as a cab trip to and from the grocery store, so it wasn't anything extra. I loved it, but we live closer to the grocery store now, and just brave the crowds. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower! I love this idea~ So neat, will try! Your little one is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this was one of my favourite reads from your blog... reason is that I am on the EXACT same page as you when it comes to shopping! You wrote so funny too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. I had no idea this even existed. I really enjoy getting out and going to the store with my son, but we are not far from the stores we go to. I LOVE target and we can not ever get enough of it. I think this is an awesome idea for ppl that do not like shopping. My mother HATES shopping so she would totally LOVE this idea. Enjoying your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Internet shopping is defiantly the way forward!!! Before I had children I used to (stupidly) think it was for lazy people.
    What's so hard about shopping for food right!!!! Wrong
    Throw a brand new baby in the mix and a 15 month old too and it became something I dreaded.
    Tescos food delivery ( I live in the u.k) is a god send I do it every week without fail and love it.
    Love your blog and your honesty
    And carter is seriously cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhh I'm right there with you momma on the shopping and cooking front. Soooo jealous I don't have that store near, pure genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate shopping now. I can not believe I am saying that. Also I have been thinking about getting the fresh produce box. I was afraid I would let slot of it go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I shop for groceries online now. When you have a youngster screaming for all types of candies, lollies and chips at the store, shopping becomes a total nightmare!! So, buy online is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete